Saturday, December 22, 2007

Hits and Misses

"The first 90% of the project takes 90% of time and the remaining 10% takes another 90%"

I have decided to pen a few lines today, after a very long break, with a hope that it will bring in the diversion that I yearn for. Its 2:30AM, Saturday morning. I am still stuck with my faithful companion, my laptop and a few other colleagues, trying to get our project move from 90% to 100%. As I look back at my last few months, I have accomplished a great deal.... or have I??

I have been successful in bringing my project to the highlights by turning the arrow from failure to success, but I have not seen the happy look on my kids faces as they deboard the school van for nearly 2 months! I have built a successful team of 10, who the management trusts to turn coal into diamonds, but I heard from the teacher who teaches mental maths that my son is not practicing enough. I have grown from the position of a leader to the position of manager, but my mom has to remind me that I have not eaten since morning. I have earned accolades from my counterparts in the US, but my daughter wants to know if I am not competent enough to become a teacher in her school. I have created several detailed documents for our project, but the pages in my diary remain empty!

As I sit back an take a few minutes to peek into the last few months, my achievements seem so small to what I missed!

I am going to make a postive effort to mend my ways and enjoy while I work.

"Every day brings a chance for you to take a deep breadth, kick off your shoes and dance". Have you used your chance yet?

Merry Christmas everybody!

4 comments:

Pradeep Nair said...

Hi Vidhya, Good to see you back, and good see your comment on my blog as well.

That quote on this post is so apt. When we look at our achievements, the terms like big and small, good, average and bad; are all so comparative. I think we all should try to enjoy whatever we do in whatever little time... it may be big or small, but an achievement nevertheless.

Narendra shenoy said...

Vidhya, thanks for your comment on my post. Well, let me compliment you on yours. The feeling that you get - that you're missing out on life - a lot of us do.

I keep getting the feeling that I'm stuck in a web and the harder I try to get out, the more I am enmeshed.

I run a manufacturing unit in Bombay. If I am to increase my profit (which I must, if I am to take that European vacation) I must increase output. I must buy more machines, for which I must borrow more money for which I must work harder just so that I don't go belly-up under the repayment schedule.... and so it goes on. Scaling down is never an option.

I think sometimes, "Do I need that European vacation"? And my brain goes "of course you do, you simp, after all Khanna and family went last year".

The upshot of this is that I am gradually going insane (Sheela, my wife, feels that "going" is really the wrong tense)and I try my level best to laugh at things. I probably won't stop going insane, but at least I'll go laughing.

Maddy said...

nice notings vidhya...and even nicer comments from pradeep and narendra..

the year has gone by, teaching you more valuable lessons in those past 365 days, you are that much wiser now!!

have a merry new year...

Vidhya said...

Pradeep, Narendra, Maddy, Thanks for visiting and leaving your comments.

I sure am learning a lot :)