Wednesday, May 9, 2007

... of Women Professionals and Male Chefs...

Have you ever wondered why although traditionally it is a womans' responsibility to cook for her family, and she does it almost everyday, most world class chef's are MALE!! "Rubbish"!! is what most of my girl-friends told me in the first place, but you really can't hide facts too well, can you?

So, when I was invited for lunch at one of my bachelor friends abode, I brushed it aside as a joke. When I realized that he was indeed serious, I was tempted to check out what he could churn up, given the fact that he was not a regular in the cooking arena, with a demanding job taking up most of his intellectual bank. Surprise, Surprise!! He even gave me a menu. So, appointment set for a Saturday, since I am all out of stuff to do on my weekends, with my kids being away at their grandparents home, I thought that I could probably get there a little early and help out.

Saturday dawned, bright and clear, but with a serious issue cropping up on the official front. Much as I hate to, I had to rush to office to sort out the seemingly threatnening issue. With nothing else running in my mind, I worked mechanically trying to seek solutions. The lunch appointment slowly drifted out of my mind.

"Vidhu, are you going to starve until you finish, You have a solution right? Shouldn't be hard to implement, I think we need to grab a bite, I'm getting faint from hunger, come on lets go.." This comment from a colleague struck like a hammer on my head and I was instantly reminded of my lunch appointment. "Hey, I'm joining a friend for lunch.. you run along", I said before checking the time. It was past 2:00PM. Just then my little talking companion buzzed into life, and sure enough that was my friend sounding a bit offended probably hungry too, checking on my whereabouts. I quickly bought another half hour from him and started homeward, still preoccupied with the problem at work.

When I reached his place, I could smell lunch even before I could step inside. I felt a wee bit apologetic about not being able to get there earlier and lend a hand with the cooking. What I saw truely made me appreciate his efforts. Lunch was ready, kitchen cleaned up to perfection. This did not look like a typical bachelors kitchen. Infact, it was much more organized.

Lets talk for a while about lunch. Hmm.. delicious biriyani with veggies, a cool cauliflower- potato combo and a raitha to go with it. Top it with an icecream desert and, I am not exaggerating here, when I say that lunch was delicious, it indeed was! Probably extreme hunger added more flavor to the food. I had three generous helpings and probably over ate a bit too. My friend mentioned that he had religiously followed the directions provided on the spice packet. I also learnt that he had to get to office too, and had cooked in two instalments, and had rushed to and from work to get lunch ready on time. Hmmm.. Now isnt that really appreciable? I have to say, through these pages.. "Thank you Ravi.. that was one awesome lunch, really appreciate your efforts!"

Now, gals, lets face it.. much as women have entered the professional arena and are excelling in it, guys have entered the kitchen and.. are excelling too!!

2 comments:

ravi said...

thanks vidya for crystallzing a small effort of mine into a page of beautiful narration and deriving message out of it to the GIRLS...think it was a great honour to be ur host. it was sheer my pleasure...

Maddy said...

ravi bhai - keep it up, vidya, well there are more men out there who are pretty good cooks. I am no expert, but I simply enjoy cooking, even if it is done only on saturday nights. I tell everybody, nothing more creative than cooking. but well, it does fail at times...and that is when we become mere mortals and have to sheepishly ask the expert wife about the next course of action..