Friday, January 21, 2011

Another New Begining!

A new year brings new hope, new light and promises a new beginning. I am so looking forward to the “New Beginning”!

Last year was perhaps the worst in all my life. It was plagued with problems that came one after another and sometimes as a tirade all at once! I was literally buried. Obviously I blamed everyone else for my bad state, but myself. I have read great books on how to deal with problems, but none of them seemed right for practical application.

I ended up walloping in self pity, blaming the creator for having been so merciless, made myself miserable and surely passed on the same feeling to those around me as well. I gave up writing, reading, talking to friends, responding to emails, attending functions or parties, participating in outings and generally stayed disconnected from all those who really cared for me. What this really did was magnified all the issues and made it look even scarier.

One day, as I was cleaning up my book shelf, I noticed one of Robin Sharma’s book “ Who will cry when you die?”. In this book, he talks about setting aside a time for “Worrying” so that we don’t end up spending a lot of time on it. Worrying is definitely not going to improve state of things anywhere. I tried to become a little more practical or realistic with what ever I was worrying about. No doubt some of them were really big issues that would have a major impact on my life, however when I really looked at it more closely, the probability of something that big happening was maybe less than 1%. I had to work hard to pull myself out of the shell that I had forcibly put myself into and step out into the sunshine.

Suddenly, the whole world looks more beautiful now, the morning mist seems so pleasant and the constant chirping of birds is not irritating anymore. I have a strong realization that I have wasted one year of my life, and am convinced that I am going to make up for it!

I hope everyone is blessed with a lot of good health, peace and general well-being all through this year!!

1 comment:

Pradeep Nair said...

I can relate the situation you have described, Vidya. Same happens to me too. I try to engage myself in activities that I like and give me lots of satisfaction. That's the way, I keep myself afloat in life. Hope 2011 is going good for you.

By the way, my old blog Time and Tide (if you remember) is back. So, may be you can give a link to this as well. Sands of Change is also active.

Good wishes.