Saturday, December 27, 2008

Learning from the little one...

I did not realize that it is already four months since I got to pen a few lines. Guess I have lost the luxury of time to "reflect" or simply that I was too confused in running the race of life that I forgot to pause and think!!

Here's something that happened today, that set me thinking...
For want of some topic to talk in an attempt to keep the kids from watching television, I popped the question "If God granted you three wishes, what would you ask from him?"
" I need some time to think mom, its 3 wishes and it should cover all that I need" said my daughter, my son just smiled and continued playing with his hand held scrabble game.
"Ok you have five minues".. I said and waited.
After a couple of minutes, my daughter said, "Well I think I will ask God to make me fair" ( She is very concerned about her complexion, though she looks extremely pretty as she is, she always wanted to be fair), " I will ask for another barbie doll and for the last wish, I will ask for three more wishes" she said looking extremely pleased with her choices. My son was still uninterested in this coversation and kept playing his word game.
"Silesh, what will you ask for?" I prompted. He looked up at me and simply said "nothing".
"Nothing? are you sure, God will grant whatever you ask for you know" I said, now completely curious about what he might want to ask.
"Yeah I'll just say Thank you, I have everything I need and I'm happy just as I am" he said simply and continued with his game!


Its hard to find happiness with what we have, there's always that one little ellusive thing that we wish for to brighten up our lives. Here's one kid who seems to be happy with all that he has!!
I hope he will always be happy recognising and appreciating what he has instead of feeling miserable about what he does not have!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was moved by the response of your kids. I have a 15-yr old son, and I can tell you we parents have lots to learn from them...

Anonymous said...

Kids always teach some beautiful lessons to us.. and this one is surely for us..
How many of us were happy with what we have got? Very strange but a kid knows that :)
I have learnt it now :)