Saturday, February 23, 2008

A prayer to God..

"World's most dangerous drugs".. The title of the program aroused enough curiosity to keep my hands off the remote for a while and watch the National Geographic channel. What I saw really terrified me.. how a simple experiment, a curious teenager, a hip party and peer pressure, contributed to making full blown drug addicts. Most of the references in the program were drawn to simple people from ordinary families, and the story of how the drug destroyed their life and their family.
Equally shocking was the easy availability of the drug in the market, and the meciless destruction that the drug can inflict on the user. It was heart rending to watch the mothers of these kids say that they had no clue what their ward was up to until it reached a point of "no-return".
I could not sleep for weeks together, brooding about how I can sheild my own kids from temptation. Awareness, and more awareness, and keeping a close watch on the kids, without being too intrusive, and also making efforts to meet and understand the type of friends that the kids move around with and having candid discussion with them should help. Making life a challange that they can live up to without having to find their "highs' in the market, and spending more time as a "family" should help too. As I gear up for the challange of having 2 teenagers at home in a couple of years, I keep my fingers crossed and mutter my prayers to God, begging him to protect my darlings from the bad world!!

3 comments:

Nanditha Prabhu said...

thats all mothers can do right! i am sure prayer is the only weapon we have to protect our kids....

Pradeep Nair said...

I can fully relate to your thoughts, and my concerns about my 15-year old son is no different. The only thing we can do is to provide a healthy, invigorating atmosphere at home; and hope our influence on them will prove to be more strong than any ruinous ones.

Lakshmi Bharadwaj said...

That's the biggest problem. I know, it's terrible. That's why, at the elementary school level, they have this compulsory course called DARE--Drug Addiction Resistance Education in American schools, right from 6th standard. It is a real insightful experience, so much so that it scares you. Don't you think we should do it here in India too? The Karnataka PU board has included a few pages of 'Drug Addiction and effects' in our syllabus, but that's only for the bio students. I think everyone should be educated.