Thursday, July 12, 2007

.. A glimpse of Self-less love at the airport

Hmm.. Another trip.. another one week trip.. Oh no!! Unfortunately, it is a trip that I cannot escape. So, I had to pack my bags again and set off on a 22 hour journey across the Atlantic.As I always mention, I hate these one week escapades, add to that the last minute reservations indicative of having to travel economy class in the scariest airline ( I wont mention the name of the airline for obvious reasons!)

This time I tried to look around me in the airport, instead of looking only into my laptop or my book as I usually do. Just trying to analyse the type of travellers..

First, there was an enthusiastic bunch of young guys. I figured that they were highly optimistic or first time travellers, since that is the only thing that can keep one awake and kicking at 2:00AM in the pathetic waiting hall of our international airport at Bangalore. They seemed to be engaged in animated conversation emitting occasional guffaws that turned many heads. It was good to see a group of happy people. Just next to them sat a young girl, looking at her boarding pass and passport every second minute.. Hmm another first-time traveller. You could tell from her nervousness that she was worried about everything.. starting from the flight schedule, to her connecting flight to her baggage!

Around the corner of the hall sat another traveller, trying to catch a few winks of precious sleep, despite the noise and suffocation around her. Just opposite her sat another gentleman with a "I give a damn" look. He seemed to critisize the Indian Government for everything.. starting from bad roads to poor conditions in the airport.. Hmm "a recent green card holder" is what I inferred with his attitude and his "In America..." style of speech. He was infact forcing his neighbour to listen to his rantings about life in America!!

A couple of regulars.. with the same boring expression, couple of others busy reading or listening to music, but on the whole minding their own business. Then there were families returning to their "home" after their vacation in India.. THey kind of stood out from the crowd with the kids speaking the American English and parents desperately trying to get them talk in their mother tongue!

But what really touched me was to see an aged couple trying struglling with their luggage, passports and tickets.. trying to figure out which way to go.. and what comes after what. First timers again. They could hardly walk straight, could not see clearly but held on to each other for support. I helped them through the formalities as they seemed lost. The couple was very thankful. They began chatting with me, like the people of their age normally do. I got to learn that the old lady suddenly took fancy to seeing her only grand daughter, unfortunately their son could not bring his family home for more than 2 years.. (' too much of work' is the excuse that the couple seemed to be fed with). So they figured that the only way out would be to go to America by themselves. The couple were full of praises for their son, saying that he will be there to receive them and would take good care of them. It really moved me to see a couple of their age swimming against the tide to do something as simple as visiting their grand-daughter!!

I wish they had a safe trip and reached their family. I will always remember this couple as a symbol of self-less love!!

4 comments:

Pradeep Nair said...

Beside these observations, travelling is such an educative experience, is it not!

Vidhya said...

Yes Pradeep! Absolutely! Travelling is definitely an enriching experience...it teaches a lot.. sometimes in the hard way. ( refer my previous post " High and dry on allien land")

Sumit said...

Gesturing the effects in the post it bounds me to be in a state of flux whether it is the same nation for which many sacrifices were made.Is it the same nation which we say is our OWN COUNTRY ? For which we say "I m proud of it's rich & varied heritage".In any case,every one out here wish to be in abroad,is there anyone who stands here & proudly says that "This is my country & I m proud of it".

As far as new generation is concerned,they can very much spare time for their beloved or their profession but at the same time forget to devote a little time to one who has made them to this mark.
All the things are happening coz we do want our personnel needs to be fulfilled whether or not it costs our Country or our cultures/Virtues.

Needs lots of improvement i thought ?

Nanditha Prabhu said...

it is interesting to observe the various faces on the railway stations an in the air port! I just love doing that! You can never get bored!
the symbol of selfless love you have potrayed was touching! when most of the youngsters are settled abroad , this is the only way they can meet up with their beloved ones..!i am right now in US and had met different Indian families who are juggling between their Indian and western existence .. i think it is really pathetic...
enjoyed reading ur post!